Title

The adaptation of signs and symbols to assist primary school teachers with the management of their students.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Books about the technical side of signs

I then moved on to a set of more technical books, which I knew would help me decide on what colours and shapes etc, the signs I was planning needed to be.
"Colour" by Gavin Ambrose & Paul Harris - This gave me some very useful information about what colours represented such as red for danger, love etc, green for the environment and much other information, which I found. I also got one useful quotation:
"Colour is perhaps the first element that we register when we view something for the first time."
I followed my reading of the book about "colour" with one about "shapes" with the same authors.
"Image" by Gavin Ambrose & Paul Harris - This gave me a lot of information about the power the shape of a sign can have for example, in traffic signage a prohibition is in the shape of a triangle, while simply giving information takes the form of a circle or rectangle. These were the main books I read about signs and symbols but I also read other books about visual communication:
"See what I mean, an introduction to visual communication" by John Morgan & Peter Wetton.
"The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Signs and Symbols" by Mark O'Connell and Raje Airey to name but two for a full list see the upcoming bibliography in my thesis.

No comments:

Post a Comment