Title

The adaptation of signs and symbols to assist primary school teachers with the management of their students.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

What book to read first

I thought it was best if I, first of all, looked into what I knew best i.e. signs and symbols. I had spent the previous year doing a study on these and already had an idea of one or two books I can start with the first of which is:
Megg's History of Graphic Design by Phil B.Meggs & Alston W.Purvis - This is a very important book, giving a comprehensive look at the history of signs and symbols starting with examples like cave paintings in earliest times to how signs developed through the centuries with examples like Heraldry, watermarks etc. I obtained one very good quotation from this which set the tone of the piece:
"This was not the beginning of art as we know it. Rather it was the dawning of visual communication because these early pictures were made for survival and for utilitarian and ritualistic purposes"

No comments:

Post a Comment