Title

The adaptation of signs and symbols to assist primary school teachers with the management of their students.

Monday, April 11, 2011

Constructing the Final Piece

The signs were designed on A4 paper in the form of a square with the corners rounded so that, if the child picked one up he/she would not hurt themselves. They were then cut into shape and glued to foam board. On the reverse I placed a piece of "Velcro" which would then adhere to the main board which would be placed at the front of the class. The teacher can then attach the sign to the board at will, if necessary, taking it off the board to hold it up to emphasise a point.





















The special needs signs I made slightly smaller and laminated them so that they would not be damaged if a child got hold of one.
I will be doing a test run for a prototype of the final piece from 6 - 14 April with a teacher from St Clara's school and then doing a follow- up interview with her to find out how she and the children got on. I am keeping my fingers crossed but am quietly hopeful all will be well.
Finally I have come up with a name for the product "Early Signs" and am toying with the idea of extending my designs to "Early Letters" and, possibly, "Early Numbers" if the present project comes off .

No comments:

Post a Comment