Title

The adaptation of signs and symbols to assist primary school teachers with the management of their students.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Methodology

Qualitative dissertation
While I was completing the Introduction and the Literature Review, I was also considering how to collect all the data to show that, not only would my signage work, but that the teachers, headmistresses etc. who would have to implement the system were generally in agreement with it. 
I decided that, as the whole concept and the final piece were fairly technical, I should aim at a qualitative, rather than quantitative, dissertation. This was because qualitative data, in comparison with quantitative data, is seen as richer and having greater depth due to the substantial amount of the detail.  Qualitative research is considered as more vital and more likely to present a truer picture of reality i.e. the way of life, experiences, attitudes, and beliefs of the participants.  Haralambos & Holborn (1995).
I chose two primary schools:
  1. St.Joseph Primary School, Sliema (Church School)
  2. St. Clara College, Pembroke Primary School (Government School)
I spoke to the two headmistresses in early January and they readily agreed that I could send a questionnaire to their teachers to find out their views on what colour, shapes etc. my signs should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment